Sunday, April 15, 2007

Talking about water





Hi people



here I am again after the Easter break. Last week I spent two days (Easter and the Monday after Easter) eating and drinking with my family but especially with my friends. We went on the hills near Padova and we had a lot of fun playing and laughing together. And you, did you enjoy your "Easter break"?



After this brief introduction, let's now talk about serious things...^_-



As usually this week too I had to contribute to a new topic in our wiki project concerning WATER resources in Italy. This is a very interesting topic because in this way you have the opportunity to stop for a moment and think about the importance of water as a resource of life.

As all my friends already know, I am not a very good writer when it's time to express my feelings and emotions (or maybe I'm just a little bit lazy...), so I decided to quote someone else's thoughts and statements...clearly dealing the topic of this week: water.

I'm not going to explain the reason why I chose these statements because I would like to think about them by your own.

Heraclitus said:

" The sea is the purest and the foulest water; it is drinkable and healthful for
fishes; but for men it is unfit to drink and hurtful. "

(Fragment 36,Clement Strom. VI, 17, 2)

Water is the most important figure in all T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land" and during the whole poem it is the most desired element, as we can notice in this part:

Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road
The road winding above among the mountains
Which are mountains of rock without water
If there were water we should stop and drink
Amongst the rock one cannot stop or think
Sweat is dry and feet are in the sand
If there were only water amongst the rock
Dead mountain mouth of carious teeth that cannot spit
Here one can neither stand nor lie nor sit
There is not even silence in the mountains
But dry sterile thunder without rain
There is not even solitude in the mountains
But red sullen faces sneer
and snarl
From doors of mudcracked houses
If there were water
And no rock
If there were rock
And also water
And water
A spring
A pool among the rock
If there were the sound of water only
Not the cicada
And dry grass singing
But sound of water over a rock
Where the hermit-thrush sings in the pine trees
Drip drop drip drop drop drop drop
But there is no water


(T.S. Eliott, "The Waste Land", 1922, part V. "What the Thunder Said")


There would be many others works I could quote, but I want to close this post with one song of my favourite singers, Damien Rice.

Cold, cold water surrounds me now
And all I've got is your hand
Lord, can you hear me now?
Lord, can you hear me now?
Lord, can you hear me now,
Or am I lost?


Cheers

Alice

(Photo source 1, photo source 2)

2 comments:

lucreziabis said...

Dear Alice, do you know that Damine rice is also one of m favouite singers! I think that your comment is really emotive, adn all the quatations you put let people think about how essential water for us is1 thanks!
have a nice weekend!

Lucrezia

Alice said...

Are you joking? I love this singer!
if you want we can go together to his concert in July!
Bye
Alice