Thursday, March 08, 2007

Let's have a talk



Hi everybody!





How are you? I haven't written on my blog for many time but it's all because of the exams I had to take...but now I'm back. ^_-


Last Monday during my English class my classmates and I all had the opportunity to talk with our American peers on Skype. This experience has been very exciting and I'm looking forward to doing it again, and again because it is very useful both from the cultural and the linguisitc points of view.

I talked with Lea, a girl from New York who studies Italian at the Tulane University of New Orleans. So, since she speaks Italian and I speak English we decided for a compromise: she talked in Italian and I talked in English. I am a very shy person but when I began to talk with her my shyness disappeared and I didn't care about the mistakes maybe I was doing while I was talking. Since in class Isabella, the girl next to my pc, didn't have a correspondant to talk to we began a three people conversation. What a cool thing! ^_^

I also have to add that I feel lucky because Lea was the only girl (or just on of the few pepole) of the American group who tried to talk with me in Italian and not only in English. I really appreciated it very much!

The topic we were asked to discuss was recycling so we began our conversation talking about the situation there in New Orleans after the hurricane Katrina. Lea told me that recycling should be compulsory but only a small number of students in the campus use different containers for rubbish (or garbage if you are talking to an American person ^_^) and nobody checks if people do it. So in theory there are rules for recycling and there should be sanctions too for those who don't respect these rules but in practice quite nobody respect the law and there are no sanctions for them. I was wondering the reason for that and at the end I understood that maybe there are more important problems to face such as the reconstruction of New Orleans before thinking about recycling.

It is very useful to talk to girls and guys who live in another country because in this way you have the possibility to compare your culture with their and to learn a lot of new topics as well.

Cheers
Alice


P.S. if you want to see why we did it, let's have a look on our Wiki project!

Photo source

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Dear Alice,

I like the fact that you use the word 'compare' because an important aspect of a cultural exchange is not just learning about other people's culture but comparing it with your own and, consequently, learning about your own.

I can see from your post that you've become an excellent blogger with the link and photo source and informal tone :-)

Sarah

Alice said...

Dear Sarah
thank you very much for your comment!
I like very much writing on my blog with this informal tone! ^_^

Bye
Alice

Anonymous said...

You write very well.